The Jaguar X350 is a lovely car, lots of power and performance!

However, it has one major problem, in the supercharged variant of the car a coolant hose runs underneath the supercharger from the water pump to the throttle body, unfortunately this is a very hot place and definitely not an ideal location for a rubber hose, all too often the inevitable happens and the hose will burst, what follows is an account of what happened when our pipe burst.

We arrived home to the smell of hot coolant and after looking underneath the car, we saw coolant dripping from the front of the gearbox/back of the engine, this is the telltale sign that the valley hose is leaking.

After looking on the internet, I found an amazing guide and parts list on jaguarforums.com created by dsetter, you can see it here. Next, it was time to begin our journey into the valley!

The job starts off simple, remove the coolant expansion tank, air intake, throttle body and the outlet of the supercharger, but from there it gets more complicated.

Our first problem was the thermostat, unfortunately, the four Torx bolts attaching the thermostat housing to the engine were stripped, therefore we needed to grind the thermostat off and replace it.

Once the thermostat was removed we had to tackle our next problem: the false bulkhead. In the factory, the false bulkhead goes in before the engine, therefore the clips were very hidden behind the back of the engine and weren’t very accessible.

Once the bulkhead was removed we had to tackle the EGR, I had been warned not to round the EGR bolts since they are very easily rounded and if that happens you are stuck, the bolts were in difficult locations but we managed to undo them without too much trouble, we also managed to remove the bolts without rounding them!

After that, it was time to remove the supercharger retaining bolts, two on the front and two on the back, easy! But wait, there is a fifth retaining bolt and this is underneath the supercharger at the back, it was very difficult to get to, but once that was removed the supercharger came up and we were greeted by the valley hose. The hose had a lovely big hole where it connected to the water pump, it was safe to say this was the source of our problems.

Putting the car back together was another lengthy process, however apart from sourcing and replacing the insulation on the false bulkhead it was not too traumatic.

Eventually, the car was back together, filled up with coolant it was ready and raring to go!